Monday, December 14, 2015

Books and I: My 2015 Favourites


Can you ever imagine a world without books? Ever seen a nation lost in its wake because it cannot accurately relate, recall or trace back stories, history, business, medicine, modes of survival, culture, traditions, lifestyles, and how a past civilization once lived?

Well, that became the death stroke of the word-of-mouth relaying of days gone by. But we know too that the best thing about history is making sure we don't repeat it, especially its ugly side. And that's why telling stories through novels, short stories, memoirs, poetry, specialized books, academic books, and more recently in video formats and online not to forget documentation via journals, reports, newspapers, white papers, conferences, and magazines all add to the many ways WRITING and CREATING CONTENT has helped shaped our world, reveal untold stories, celebrate achievements, document tragedies and marketed cultures and civilizations.

I truly find novel writing one of the key ways we can change civilization, attitudes and behaviours for the better. And for me, 2015 was indeed a remarkable year reading through so many life changing, mind spitting and creatively activating novels that took me through space, time, people and places all at once! My horizon was broaden, my thinking sharpened, my view of life expanded and my creative processes limitless.

From self-help motivational books, to anthological references, historical research, academic books, business, lifestyle, politics, literature and much more, I was led EVERYDAY to new minds, processes, innovations and breakthroughs in ALL spheres of life. Some I have read before, but reading them again gave me interesting and mind blowing perspectives I missed the first time I read them. Yet there were others I only got to know of and was I glad they found me! 

Here are some of the books I read in 2015. I dubbed them my 2015 Favs!
  • TEN CITIES
  • WHY WE TELL STORIES
  • DIANETICS
  • ATLAS SHRUGGED
  • SAY YOU'RE ONE OF THEM
  • WHY YOU ACT THE WAY YOU DO
  • AMERICANNAH
  • THE ART OF WAR
  • ISHMAEL
  • WE THE LIVING
  • ACCIDENTAL CIVIL SERVANT
  • A NEW SLANT OF LIFE
  • A PRINCESS REMEMBERS
  • 8th HABIT OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE and so many other books I can't recount here. 

As 2015 gradually draws to a close, I can't help but feel grateful how these books have changed, staggered my imagination and also expanded my world view on: History, Liberty, Politics, Science, Climate Cycles, Romance, Life, Culture, Belief Systems, Lifestyles and much more.


My best gift for you for the end of the year? BUY BOOKS! LOVE BOOKS! OWN BOOKS! And for everyone you buy, buy one as a gift to your loved ones, friends, colleagues and business associates. Many would thank you in their hearts later after the experience of reading immersion.

You still have at least 16 days to grab a worthwhile book or novel and do justice to it. And 2016 is just around the corner to make that Book Reading Year! 

In terms of human history and anthology, these four books: Sapiens, Ten Cities, Ishmael and Scramble for Africa did justice in jolting me up big time: 




Ishmael: An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit


Each of them was a fascinating read! And if you want to dig deeper into Africa and how Africans irrevocably marked their 'fate'? Out of Africa is the book you wanna read! 

Nigerian Books by Nigerian Authors that got  me swinging includes:


        



Don't fail to share with me some of the books you've read this year and how it took you from "Ignorance" to "Knowing and Understanding". Remember, you're only limited by what YOU DO NOT KNOW.

Did you now that Zimbabwe is the most literate country in Africa? It is also home to the Zimbabwe International in Harare Book Fair. The African Studies Centre Leiden, has compiled Africa's 100 BEST BOOKS of the 20th Century. Visit: http:// www.ascleiden.nl/content/webdossiers/africas-100-best-books-20th-century for Ali Mazrui's project list of Africa's Best 100.

And if you're good at exploring foreign genres too, here's Telegraph's Europe 100 fantasy, romance, thrillers and dramatic novels you can explore. Underline the word explore. It means keeping your mind open with a view to integrating what you've read. Getting another perspective to issues broadens the mind's ability to think constructively. Go to http://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/what-to-read/100-novels-everyone-should-read/ to check some of these titles.

Remember, you're only limited by what YOU DO NOT KNOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment